Students in high school and college are often asked to write a personal essay. Whether it is for admissions or for a particular course, this assignment is always challenging because you have to use both narrative and descriptive styles of writing and because you have to watch out with the tenses. More importantly, you can’t simply tell a story or describe a person or an event. You have to connect what’s happened to you to a broader idea. Here is a selection of 100 personal essay topics to help you get a smooth start with this writing assignment. They are all interesting and give you the opportunity to create captivating content. Let’s begin.
The most fascinating adventure that you have ever had
A recent stressful situation
How you have overcome a great obstacle on your way to achieving something
The most motivating thing for you
How you coped through a difficult time in your life
Your greatest fear
A time when you reacted without thinking
The most annoying thing for you
An event that has brought you closer to your parents
If you were an animal, what would you be?
A time when you failed, but learned something from the experience
The last time you left your “comfort zone”
A time when you were alone and felt good about it
How you relax
A major change that has occurred in your life
A person that you want to write a thank-you message to
How you made a difficult decision
A public figure that you would invite to speak at your college/high school
The most daring thing that you have done
A time when you did something heroic
The family member who has had the most influence on you
How you work in a team
Your favorite karaoke song
A time when you competed for something
A character in a book/movie who shares many personal traits with you
How did your parents choose your name?
The school trip which you had the most fun on
A superpower that you wish you could have
The historical figure that you admire the most
The best place to hang out in your local area
A celebrity that you want to interview
The sweetest neighbor that you have had
A family tradition that you carry on
The most dangerous situation that you have been in
Which of the latest technologies are you most excited about?
How your parents react to your report card
Your favorite cartoon
A time when a friend helped you out
The biggest conflict that you have had with a sibling/cousin
What you like the most about the place where you live
The most disappointing thing that happened to you at school
A type of behavior that annoys you
A time when you changed another person’s mind
Your favorite place in your house
The most interesting family story that you have
A time when you had a lot of fun
Your dream home
A time when you made a wrong decision
Compare yourself to one of your parents
How a teacher/professor has motivated you to do better
The most beautiful place on the planet for you
A time when you explored the great outdoors
The coolest kid in your previous class/school
A piece of technology that you cannot live without
If you were the President for a day, what would you do?
Your favorite TV show when you were younger
A place in your local area that you try to avoid
How your life could differ if you lived a century ago
The last video that you watched online before writing this essay
The role money plays in your life
A time when you wanted to run away, but you stayed
Your favorite time in history
An object that you have kept since childhood
The last thing you posted on social media
The thing that has made the biggest impression on you today
How you have decorated your room
The book with the biggest impact on you so far
A time when a friend disappointed you
The most irresistible thing for you
The last time when you deleted an online chat message
A historic event you wish you could have witnessed/been part of
The last important topic that you discussed with a friend
The time when you felt the greatest pride
If you could invent something, what would it be?
The last time you needed a hug
The artist or band whose music inspires you the most
The greatest moment in movie history
A time when you found something valuable by accident
A piece of fake news that you read online
The most impressive building for you
A time when a close person betrayed your trust
The most distractive thing in the classroom
A TV show character that you would like to be friends with
If you had a million to spend today, what would you buy?
A time when you lied with a good intention in mind
A person that you cannot imagine life without
The last time when you supported a good cause
The single item that you have spent the most money on in your life
The mobile app that you use the most
A song that brings a happy memory to mind
A celebrity that you want to invite to your graduation party
The most memorable poem for you
Your latest act of kindness
The person who has helped you the most with homework
A time when you felt very angry
Your favorite work of art
What helps you to learn a new language
How you approach essay writing
How you find inner peace
Your dream job
Narrative Essay Topics
In a narrative essay, the writer tells a story about his/her personal experience. However, treating a narrative essay like an interesting bedtime story would be a mistake. It goes further. In this type of essay, the writer should speak about his/her experience within a specific context, such as a lesson learned. With a narrative essay, the writer not only entertains the reader but also teaches him, illustrating his point of view with a real-life example.
If you are assigned to write a narrative essay, here are some narrative writing prompts:
NARRATIVE ESSAY WRITING
How to Choose a Narrative Essay Topic?
Choosing an interesting topic and thinking over short story ideas is particularly important. When writing a narrative essay you should think about your life experience in the framework of the assignment’s theme, you would like to speak about. You should always remember that even a tiny event or incident could serve a plot for an interesting narrative story. The point is that it should convey a meaning; it should be a kind of instructive story.
There is a number of helpful techniques helping to invent an essay topic. If you don’t have a clue what experience to describe, you can brainstorm with your friends, surf the Internet or use this list of sample narrative essay topics.
Before getting started to choose a topic from the list provided by our writers, let’s read one of the narrative essay examples:
NARRATIVE ESSAY EXAMPLE
In case you already have the topic to write about but need help with your essay, you can contact our essay writing service in UK to order a custom-written narrative essay with www.essaymasters.co.uk! Our professional writers are available 24/7!
Below is the great list of short story ideas:
TOP 70 Narrative Essay Topics
- If I could go back in time.
- If I could change anything in the history, what would I choose?
- The time I saw the weirdest thing in my life.
- My most frightening experience.
- One thing I’m afraid to lose.
- If I could change one thing about me.
- If I had a billion dollars.
- If I could stop the time.
- The most beautiful thing in the world for me.
- The most pleasant sound for me.
- My first day at a new school.
- The time I lost my friend.
- The time I got a new friend.
- My first day at a new job.
- My most disastrous day ever.
- My happiest day ever.
- The most irritating things in my life.
- An experience that left me disillusioned.
- How I met my fear.
- The moment I overcome my phobia.
- The achievement I’m proud of.
- My most dangerous experience.
- The journey that has changed me.
- The experience that taught me how appearance can be deceiving.
- My act of heroism.
- My act of cowardice.
- A thing I would like to change in my past.
- My first month of living on my own.
- The most successful day in my life.
- The time I was wrong about the person.
- My sudden act of a kindness.
- What my younger sibling taught me.
- A time when I felt that I’m experiencing a historic event.
- How I started relationships.
- The worst quarrel with my mother.
- An experience I thought I would never have.
- The biggest risk I’ve ever taken.
- Why do I like being alone?
- The hardest decision I’ve ever made.
- The hardest thing I’ve ever done.
- What challenges have I overcome?
- How do I relieve stress?
- What do I do when I feel depressed.
- 5 everyday problems that bother me.
- Who inspires me and why.
- Whom would I ask to come if I had my own Talk-show?
- People that have changed my life.
- Books or movies that have changed my world view.
- Devices playing the biggest role in my life.
- Side effects of my digital life.
- One day or week without an access to the Internet.
- What my profile in social networks tells about me.
- What music inspires me.
- What music can change my mood?
- What movies inspire me.
- What role television plays in my life.
- What television shows have mattered to me?
- What reality-show I would like to participate in.
- What memorable poetry have I learned?
- What books teach me.
- Why do I keep (or don’t keep) a diary or journal?
- What words or phrases I don’t like to use.
- The time I learned that grammar is necessary.
- The greatest conversation of my life.
- The teacher who inspired me.
- The role clubs and teams play in my life.
- My long-time passion.
- What superhero power I would like to have.
- Why I like (or don’t like) cooking.
- Waiting in line story.
More about a narrative essay:
NARRATIVE ESSAY OUTLINE
Have you already chosen a topic for your narrative essay? If not, feel free to contact our professional writers as they will offer a lot of topics to write about. Place an order for getting an instant quote for your narrative essay.